Ethiopia is widely accepted as the birthplace of coffee, but there are many other African countries which produce some excellent beans with their own distinct characteristics which we have sourced. We buy from Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Burundi.
- Kenyan Coffees are very popular and are renowned for their brisk acidity and fruity cup.
- Rwandan coffees are similar to Kenyan coffees, but softer, without some of the acidity.
- Ethiopian coffees have an almost winey flavour and are generally considered to be lighter coffees with a gentle, sweet flavour.
- Tanzanian, Burundi and Malawi coffees are often used in blends, but we occasionally find small co-operative coffees which are very special indeed. When available we’ll be sure to add them to our website, so make sure you get them before they go!
- Coffee from DRC (formerly Zaire) has a Kenya-like quality, with more woody tones, and is not always available due to the country’s current instability.